April 12, 2012 | by Andrew Kameka
The Sony Smartwatch was one of my favorite sites at CES 2012. Using Bluetooth connectivity, the watch links with an Android phone and enables both special features within the watch and some controls of the connected device. The SmartWatch is a big step-up from the Sony Ericsson Live View that debuted last year, and it’s available now in the United States.
Sony announced today that the SmartWatch is on sale in the U.S. for $149. That Benji’ and a half will earn buyers a dust and splash proof watch capable of doing more than your average clock. The SmartWatch does what one would expect from this category:
- Control music playback
- Manage phone calls and incoming notifications for SMS or email
- Read Facebook or Twitter updates
That’s just the basics, though; Sony cooked up a couple of other nice features. For one, the watch can remotely trigger the phone camera to take a picture (as long as you are in range of Bluetooth). The odds that you’ll ever need or care to use such a feature seems incredibly low, but it’s there. And of course, apps are the real draw here, and Sony has built a few extras for buyers to discover in Google Play.
The SmartWatch features interchangeable and multi-colored bands that are sold separately. It is on sale now in Sony Stores and at Sony.com. View our previous eyes-on from the CES unveiling of the watch and check out the specs below for more info.
- Dimensions: 1.42 X 1.42 X 0.3 in
- Weight: 0.55 oz
- Display: 1.3” OLED display, 128 x 128 pixels
- Compatibility: Bluetooth™ 3.0 and Android™ 2.1 or above
- Connectivity: Standard USB charging
- Battery life: Up to 4 days
- Language support for: English, Spanish, French, Chinese (Traditional), Portuguese, Swedish, Russian, Danish, Polish, Japanese, Czech, German, Modern Greek, Dutch
- Notifications: Display notification or vibration
- Apps: All events (displays in chronological order), Messaging (SMS/MMS), corporate E-mail (for Sony™ and Sony Ericsson Android phones), Gmail (for all other Android smartphones) Calendar Notifications, Facebook™, Twitter™, Music Player, Call handling (call, mute, reject, or answer and send pre-defined SMS), Pre-defined SMS, e.g. missed calls – I’m busy, messaging – call me, email – ok, Battery strength,Find phone, and Weather widget. Plus lots of apps on Android™ market.
- Additional SmartWatch bands available in pink, white, mint, grey and blue