LG Viper 4G LTE pre-orders start April 12 for $99 for decent SPECS; LTE launch date still a mystery [SPECS
April 3, 2012 | by Andrew Kameka
Sprint has just announced that it will launch the LG Viper 4G LTE later this month. The device that we first saw in January at CES, will be among the first phones to support Sprint’s 4G LTE network – when it launches later this year.
Yes, the LG Viper has “4G LTE” as part of its official name, but Sprint hasn’t confirmed yet if a 4G LTE network will be ready when the device launches. Sprint will say only that it will begin taking pre-orders April 12, and the Viper will cost $99.
Sprint plans to offer its LTE network by mid 2012 to customers in select markets, but it’s getting a jump on the Viper’s sales by introducing the phone now. So what will $99 get someone who buys an LG Viper 4G LTE? A solid device and a pat on the back from Captain Planet. The Viper is eco-friendly and uses protective materials made of 50 percent recycle plastics. The device is also ULE Platinum Certified and RoHS compliant, so your tech lust will be less harmful to the environment and consume less power.
Of course, not everyone is too concerned with eco-friendliness when it comes to phones. The LG Viper will still hold its own, especially considering its price. It’s guaranteed to be overshadowed by the more powerful Galaxy Nexus and whatever HTC announces tomorrow, but its spec sheet – software version aside – is indeed respectable. Cross your fingers that Sprint will be prepared to offers those features with an LTE network in your area.
LG VIPER SPECS
- 4″ WVGA touch screen display
- Dual Cameras (5MP rear and VGA front)
- Powered by Android 2.3, Gingerbread with a 1.2 GHz dual-core processor
- Near Field Communication (NFC) technology, which allows the device to read information from everyday objects, like stickers and posters embedded with NFC chips
- Google Wallet enabling the phone to be used like a wallet to make safe, secure purchases at hundreds of thousands of participating retailers using NFC
- 50GB of free cloud storage and sharing from Box1
- Android Market™ for access to more than 400,000 applications, widgets and games
- Sprint ID, a user-friendly means of customizing Android content on mobile phones. Allows users to instantly download ID packs that deliver a predefined experience, including applications, widgets, ringtones and wallpapers, all at once.
- WiFi Enabled – 802.11 b/g/n with Mobile Hotspot capability supporting up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices to share the 3G and 4G LTE experience simultaneously2
- microSD card slot with 4GB card included (supports up to 32GB)
- Dimensions: 4.6″ (H) x 2.6″ (W) x 0.47″ (D)
- Weight: 5 oz.
- Main Display: 4.0”, 480 x 800 (WVGA) Pixels
- Memory: 1 GB RAM, 4 GB ROM
- Standard Battery: 1700 mAh, up to 7 hours talk time3