April 4, 2012 | by Andrew Kameka
Sprint and HTC took the veil off their latest collaboration, the HTC EVO 4G LTE. Confirming previous rumors that this will be a mix of new hardware power and Sprint’s upcoming network, much like we’ve seen with the original EVO phone, Sprint declared this would be a “gold standard” in media devices.
The EVO 4G LTE takes the impressive device that HTC debuted at Mobile World Congress and adds some of the features that made the original EVO 4G such a hit. It has the new: a large 4.7-inch touchscreen with 720p resolution; and it has the old: a kickstand built into the physical body that allows the phone to be propped up without the need for additional cases or accessories. That was one of my most beloved features in the original EVO, and I’m glad to see that the latest embraces that same virtue.
A major part of the new Evo is that it has improved call quality. CEO Dan Hesse claimed that it will be the first HD voice-capable phone released by a U.S. carrier, eliminating background noise and making sound quality better than ever according to Sprint CEO Dan Hesse. He went on to say that the quality is so clear, “you can hear a pin drop.”
The EVO 4G LTE will sell for $199.99 on a 2-year contract; Sprint will begin accepting pre-orders May 7. All signs point to the 4G LTE network launching soon, and there will have to be something to keep the LG Viper company. Look out for more info on that front later. For now, here’s a list of specs. Be sure to check back shortly for a hands-on video live from the event.
- Android™ 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich, integrated with HTC Sense™ 4
- 4.7-inch HD display
- HD voice capabilities
- 1.5GHz dual-core processor (Qualcomm Snapdragon S4)
- 2000mAh embedded battery
- 8-megapixel rear-facing and 1.3-megapixel front-facing
- Google Wallet
- HTC Beats Audio integrated
- 16GB internal memory
- microSD support
- 1 GB of RAM
- 134.8 x 68.99 x 8.98 mm / 5.3 x 2.7 x 35 in (LWT)
- 134 grams / 4.72 ounces
- NFC capable and Google Wallet
- Built-in dual microphones for noise reduction
- Bluetooth 4.0
ADVANCING SMARTPHONE PHOTOGRAPHY
HTC EVO 4G LTE makes mobile photography and video easy and intuitive.
- The on-screen photo and video buttons are right next to each other so users don’t have to switch modes. This allows the user to take video and still photos concurrently.
- It makes the whole idea of “video mode” or “photo mode” irrelevant. While shooting a video, the user can just tap the shutter button and it captures a still image of that exact moment. Still images can also be captured during video playback.
- HTC EVO 4G LTE’s camera has a super-fast start-up time and auto-focus. With the fast auto-focus, users can easily stay with a moving object or person, taking numerous pictures just by holding the shutter button.