February 21, 2012 | by Andrew Kameka
Barnes & Noble is aiming to provide a cheaper tablet, today announcing an 8GB version of its Nook Tablet that has cut the price down to $199.
The Nook Tablet that debuted in 2011 had twice as much internal storage (16GB) and many of the same features present in the just-announced Nook Tablet – 8GB. But that higher storage led to a higher price of $249, which made it difficult for Barnes & Noble to compete with Amazon’s Kindle Fire. Sure, the higher storage, solid 1 GHz dual-core processor, and solid battery life are great, but the perceived advantages didn’t justify a $50 higher price tag in some eyes. Now B&N can argue that it’s 7-inch tablet is not only better, but costs the same, which consumers might see as a better value.
Of course, the runaway success of the Kindle Fire was never about specs (performance on the device was rated rather poorly by most reviewers). The reason Amazon managed to become the leading Android tablet with millions of sales in late 2011 was because of its retail prowess and the wealth of digital content – books, music, and movies – available on the device. Barnes & Noble also has its own book store and device-specific apps, so maybe the lower price will close the gap.
The Nook Tablet – 8GB is on sale today for $199. The price of the original Nook Color has also been dropped to $169. Visit a local Barnes & Noble to purchase today. Best Buy, Target, and Wal-Mart will also carry the devices soon.
Nook Tablet 8 GB specs
- A highly tuned 1GHz dual-core processor for streaming video and lightning-fast Web browsing so customers can surf their favorite sites, and built-in email to stay easily connected with friends and family
- Breakthrough battery life, with 11.5 hours of reading time or nine hours of video viewing
- With on-board storage plus convenient microSD memory expansion, customers have ample space for their reading and entertainment content, regardless of Wi-Fi availability
- The world’s most advanced VividView display for viewing content, with 16 million colors and a resolution purity that’s simply gorgeous
- Popular movies, TV shows and music from top services including Netflix, Hulu Plus™, Flixster, Pandora®, Rhapsody®, Grooveshark, MOG and many more.