January 11, 2012 | by Andrew Kameka
Sirius XM has expanded its listening options with Lynx, a new streaming device built on-top of Android. Don’t get too excited just yet because you won’t be playing games or browsing the web on this (unless someone gets hacking). No, this is a device for one thing and one thing only: streaming Sirius XM radio wherever you are.
Lynx features hardware that can stream Sirius XM satellite radio in the car or home. The device features an audio jack that can plug into a car auxiliary or headphones, and it has Bluetooth connectivity in case you wish to connect to speakers. It can also dock into a separately sold speaker box in case you wish to listen more at work or home. A Sirius XM subscriber can use the device to do things like start a song from the beginning when listening to a favorite station, or set-up radio replays that build a library of songs from those favorites.
There are plenty of ways to browse Lynx, especially since the device is touch-screen only and has more channel options than previously available in Sirius XM devices. The presence of Android doesn’t add anything unique or amazing from an app perspective, but it does enable faster updates through Wi-Fi. For a list of other features of the device and Sirius XM, take a look at this hands-on video and feature list courtesy of Sirius XM below.
- Tune Start™: Automatically starts the currently playing song from the beginning so listeners will hear the whole song when tuning to any of their satellite radio music channels saved as a Favorite channel.
- Radio Replays: Subscribers can build a library of up to 200 hours of programming from their Favorite satellite radio channels which are automatically recorded to allow for playback anywhere.
- Pause, Rewind and Replay: Listeners can replay up to 30 minutes of live SiriusXM content on the currently tuned channel, and also access replay content on 5 favorite preset channels currently displayed.
- Featured Favorites™: A dynamic set of presets that can be automatically added as favorite channels, allowing users to easily discover new and specialty programming.
- Show Finder™: An easy-to-use electronic programming guide offering a complete list of what’s on over the next 7 days by channel, with the ability to set reminder alerts when favorite shows are being broadcast.
- Lynx also offers SiriusXM 2.0 features for listening to SiriusXM Internet Radio via Wi-Fi networks at home, office or accessible hotspot, including:
- Start Now allows subscribers to go back 5 hours to select and listen to previously broadcast programming.
- View program information, album art and read artist bios.
- Rewind to hear programming again or skip forward to hear what’s playing next.
- Pause live radio and pick up right where the listener left off
- Access to Show Finder™, the electronic programming guide.