What we only suspected a few days back, after hearing a couple of rumors, has been finally made official where else if not in Vegas, at the 2012 CES? The LG Spectrum Android-based smartphone will hit Verizon’s shelves before the end of the month, as the good people at LG announced during their official press conference at the CES.
Sporting a 4.5-inch True HD IPS display and featuring a 1.5 GHz dual-core processor, as well as 1 GB of RAM, the Spectrum will certainly not be a modest or low-end smartphone, even though it will run Android 2.3 Gingerbread for the time being.
For the time being, because the nice guys at LG have let us know that the handset will be upgraded to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich soon enough (how soon, we don’t know for sure though). Other features include a whopping 8 MPx rear-facing camera with 1080p video capture capabilities, a 1.3 MPx front-facing webcam, as well as Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity.
The internal storage space is far from impressive (only 4 GB), but the Spectrum will also come with a 16GB microSD card pre-installed, so you shouldn’t in fact worry about on-board memory!
Let’s not forget to mention a couple of things about this smartphone’s design, which at least at a first sight looks like a winner to me. Nice and stylish curves, straightforward lines here in there and it’s practically impossible for a technology enthusiast to not crave for such a gadget.
The LG Spectrum will start shipping on January 19th at Verizon stores all over the US and will go for… drum rolls, please… 199 dollars on a two year contract. Does that sound good or does that sound good?
• 4.5-inch True HD IPS display provides natural colors and brilliant, undistorted HD images in 16:9 aspect ratio. Pictures and texts are incredibly sharp with 329 pixels per inch (PPI) screen density.
• Protected by Corning® Gorilla® Glass, the True HD IPS display uses Real Stripe subpixel arrangement so images never get blurred.
• Android™ 2.3 Gingerbread (Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade available the first half of 2012); support for Google™ Mobile Services including Gmail™, YouTube™, Google Talk™, Google Search™, Google Maps™ and access to more than 300,000 apps available to download from Android Market™.
• Preloaded Netflix app allows Netflix subscribers to stream the latest movies in high-definition quality.
• Qualcomm 1.5 GHz dual-core processor makes multitasking seamless. Customers can surf the Web, check email and update social networks effortlessly.
• ESPN’s ScoreCenter app offers the most comprehensive sports coverage available on an Android device whether you follow the NFL or Premier League, ICC Champions League or MLB™, NASCAR or Formula One™. Customers can follow teams from more than 500 leagues around the world with an exclusive 720p high-definition feed for Spectrum by LG while connected to the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network or Wi-Fi.
• Spectrum supports Dolby® Digital Plus, which allows users to maximize their HD multimedia experience. Dolby Digital Plus can stream up to 7.1 channels of surround sound through home entertainment systems.
• 8-megapixel rear-facing autofocus camera with LED flash to snap beautiful pictures and 1080p video capture
• Front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera for video chat
• SmartMovie HD app—create and edit HD videos right on the Spectrum by LG
• Mobile Hotspot capability—share 4G LTE connection with up to 10 Wi-Fi-enabled devices
• Bluetooth® Version 3.0
• 16 GB microSD™ card pre-installed with support for up to 32 GB microSD card
• SmartShare—share media wirelessly to DLNA®-enabled devices