September 23, 2011 | by Andrew Kameka
UPDATE: This article originally said that Spotify is offering 6 months of premium streaming, but THAT MAY BE INCORRECT. This sign-up method appears to provide only open access to Spotify on the desktop. We apologize for the confusion. Here is the article below edited to remove reference to 6 months of app streaming.
Following yesterday’s announcement of Facebook integrating with several music streaming services, Spotify ended its practice of limiting U.S. registration to invitations. Now, anyone in the U.S. can access Spotify using Facebook.
The Spotify Android app enables on-demand streaming of millions of songs and albums across genres. This convenience typically costs $9.99 a month, but TechCrunch points out that if you visit the link listed below and sign-up for Spotify through Facebook, you’ll get access to Spotify streaming. (Edit: and a 48-hour demo of the Spotify Android app.)
I couldn’t get it to work with my existing account, so I just used a dormant Facebook profile I have and registered for a new Spotify account. I’m not sure if there’s a proper way for existing users to get the deal, but that workaround did what I needed. Here’s the rest of the process.
- Follow this link while logged into Facebook and click the “Get Spotify” button
- Register and you should gain instant access to the Spotify desktop service.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Edit profile”
- On the following page, click the “Set a password for your devices link”
- You should see a device username like “12345678.” Click the “Send e-mail to set password” link and follow the prompts from that e-mail
- Download the Spotify Android app, enter in your device username and password.
- Enjoy the music
My initial impression with the Spotify Android app was that it did a better job of managing streams than any other music app that I have used. Performance may vary depending on your carrier. Search and labeling were sometimes bothersome, but after a few months of use and switching to a couple of other streaming services temporarily, I feel confident saying Spotify has the fastest and most consistent response times.