October 6, 2010 | by Andrew Kameka
The first Google TV set-top box was displayed in all its glory today at CTIA. The Logitech Revue, which will retail for $300, is now available for pre-order on its official product page that offers plenty of info about the new device. (DISH Network customers can also get the Revue at a discounted $179).
Revue will enable consumers to “watch what you want where it comes from,” by integrating the web, apps, and television into one command center. The set-top box links with a keyboard controller, Internet connection, and a television to act as the command center for your media. Revue owners will have the option to use other accessories like a mini controller with a QWERTY keyboard ($129.99) or an Android app that serves as a remote.
As originally expected, Logitech will also sell an optional TV-mounted camera that enables 720p HD video calls. The TV Cam uses Logitech Vid HD, a proprietary video system available on GTV, Mac, or PC. There’s no sign of Skype support on the website. The TV Cam will retail for $149.
The camera has a 5x optical zoom with wide-angle lens (Carl Zeiss optics), dual-mics and noise cancellation audio recording optimized for living room settings, and on-screen notifications when getting an incoming call.
Logitech will also launch Revue with several apps:
- Vid HD for video calls
- Netflix to watch streaming movies (unlimited membership required)
- Pandora and Napster to stream personal music stations/libraries
- Twitter to post or read tweets while watching TV
- CNBC app designed specifically to show real-time stock information and customized watch lists, as well as “exclusive” video content
- Logitech Media to browse photos, music, and video from a computer networked to the device
- Logitech Alert Camera Viewer to see your security cameras on TV
The Revue includes the follow ports:
- Logitech unifying technology to connect up to 6 Logitech accessories
- HDMI in and out ports
- Two IR blasters
- Two USB inputs
- Ethernet cord
- SPDIF to connect digital optical cable.
Using Revue will require an HDTV with HDMI, Ethernet or WiFi, and a Cable or Satellite Set Top Box with HDMI out. If you have those things, you can place an order right now.