June 9, 2010 | by Robert Nelson
The Swype Beta for Android may currently be closed for new users, however that has not stopped a new version of Swype coming available for those taking place in the current beta. The news of the update came by way of an email from Swype which makes mention that the new version will have “several bug fixes and features.”
Those in the beta and currently using Swype be able to download the latest version from the Swype Beta for Android website. As for installing the new version — its noted that you will need to first uninstall the current installation.
Also important to mention, for those that are happy with your current version and feeling a little lazy, almost like there is no need to upgrade. If that is you, think again because the current version of Swype is set to expire sometime “in the next couple days.”
Otherwise, here is what you can expect in terms of new changes and features;
- Added better context sensitivity for the “magic button” (go/search/enter/smiley)
- Added automatic apostrophe insertion for contractions (e.g. won’t, don’t, wasn’t, etc)
- Added the Italian language dictionary
- Improved sensing of field type to prevent the display and addition of passwords to the UDB (user dictionary)
- Improved suppression of auto-spacing in fields such as URLs and email addresses
- Updated the built-in dictionary to include several common words that were previously missing
- Rewrote some settings descriptions to be more clear on their functionality
- Fixed licensing issue causing “Limited Functionality” errors when rebooting devices running Android 2.0 and later
- Fixed licensing issue causing some users to receive an “Incorrect ID” error when installing Swype
- Fixed a bug where manually typing some words with word-prediction enabled would cause Swype to crash
- Fixed a bug which caused some words added to the UDB to erroneously override other words when word-prediction is enabled
- Many other minor bug fixes!
And just in case you forgot, there is a nice (and surprisingly detailed) set of instructions for installation on the Swype Beta website.