Android News

Android Market has 10,000 apps, many of which don’t appeal to users

September 7, 2009 | by Andrew Kameka

Android

Android Market has 10,000 apps, many of which don’t appeal to users

The Android Market has crossed the 10,000 apps threshold. Though there were 5,000 apps listed as recently as May 2009, Androlib.com reports that the Market’s app and game total has since risen to 10,078.

According to Androlib.com, an online version of the Android Market, approximately 64.2% of apps listed in the Android Market (about 6,470) are free. The remaining 35.8% (about 3,607) are paid apps.

Keep in mind that AndroLib is estimating the number of apps, so this isn’t an exact science. There’s also no mention of how many of these listings are actual apps and not a duplicate “donate” version or accessory apps like aHome or Better Keyboard skins. We’re left wondering the same question as when Google or T-Mobile throws out these kind of stats: just how accurate are they?

Regardless, it provides an interesting look into how much the Market is growing in light of recent estimates that the Market is underperforming for paid apps. Just three months ago, Google said there were nearly 4,900 apps in the Android Market. If both sources are tracking apps within reasonably similar means/terms, that means the Android Market size has doubled in only 3 months. Again, that’s assuming the two sources share similar definitions of what qualifies as an app.

Here are some other very interesting stats from AndroLib

  • About 81% of Android Market listings are apps and 19% are games
  • About 64% of apps are rated as 4 stars or higher.
  • More than half of all apps (56%) are downloaded less than 1,000 times. Only a very select few (0.9%) reach the widespread popularity of 250,000 or more downloads. See full chart here.
  • Users most pleased with the market based on the 4 or 5 star standard seem to be Chinese (75%), Japanese (75%), Italian (71%), and Spanish (69%). Germans and Dutch users each reported 66%, Americans and Brits a combined 63%, and French at 62% were the least likely to give an app 4 or 5 stars.  See full chart here.

ratings

freepaidapp

downloadrepartition

newappsbyday